5 Tips For Eating a WFPB Diet



Eight months ago I started eating a whole-food, plant-based diet and I love it! It is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Here are 5 tips that have helped me since embarking on my healthy eating journey.

1. It's okay to take breaks- A lot of people don't want to start a WFPB diet because they don't know if they can give up meat and dairy forever. However, I think it's okay to eat it on occasion. It's not as daunting to start eating this way when you tell yourself you can take breaks occasionally. The longer I have been eating this way, the less I want meat and dairy, but it was helpful to tell myself I could have it sometimes when I started out.

2. It's important to adapt your WFPB diet to what works for you and your family. We decided that we would still eat meat and dairy if we were invited to someone's house for dinner. We didn't want to put people out and we didn't want our diet to limit interactions with friends. We just try to get a big helping of vegetables and a small helping of meat (if possible). Some friends of ours that eat a WFPB diet still eat cheese on occasion because they really love it. Adjust the diet to what works for you and it will be a smooth transition.

3. It's okay to be different. People that are different are people that inspire others. Eating a WFPB diet is not popular. People might think that you are weird. You may receive negative comments but it is worth it. Don't let the fear of being different stand in your way.

4. Allow your WFPB diet to simplify your life. It's not always easy to eat a WFPB diet but it is simple. Eating a WFPB diet has really allowed me to simplify my life. Most of the dishes I make are less time consuming than the meals I previously made. I don't have to worry if I am getting adequate nutrients because I know that what I am eating is packed with vitamins and minerals. I also love that I don't have to make sure meat is cooked through and I don't have to sanitize my kitchen after cooking with meat. You may have to familiarize yourself with some new ingredients, but in no time you will agree that eating a WFPB diet has simplified your life.

5. Learn to understand and appreciate the power of self-control. Eating a WFPB diet takes self-control but it is worth it.  I believe that if we can master self-control in the kitchen, we will have greater power to do so in other areas of our lives. Since eating a WFPB diet I have been inspired to make other positive changes in my life, all of which I attribute to changing my diet.




No comments:

Post a Comment