Living Intentionally

Today, more than ever before, there is so much competing for our attention. If we aren't careful we will look back on life and wonder where it all went. I look back on some periods of my life and I feel like I was on auto pilot...just gliding through life without any concrete goals or aspirations.

Sometimes I sit back and think about what my life would have been like if I had lived more intentionally. Would I have gotten straight A's in college? Would my major have changed? Would I have met different people and taken different opportunities? And although I cannot go back and re-do the years (and maybe I wouldn't if I could) I do know that I can choose to live intentionally now. We can't go back but we can move forward.

As I move forward I want to live more intentionally. I want to set goals and make plans and choose how I spend my time instead of letting the time pass me by. I want to choose to simplify in a world that encourages otherwise. I want to eat healthy and planned out meals in a world of fast-food furtherance. I want to set down my phone when everyone around me is zoned in. I want to spend my money and time on experiences instead of things.

So how do we do it? How do we live more intentionally? The first thing you have to do is to make up your mind that you want to do it. That part isn't as hard as you think. Have a little pep talk with yourself. Tell yourself you are strong enough and good enough and that you deserve to live more intentionally. 

Second, decide what changes you need to make in your life to live more intentionally. Do you want to limit your social media time? Do you want to learn a new skill? Do you want to eat differently than you currently do? Honestly evaluate yourself and then choose something to work on.

Third, set realistic but ambitious goals. Don't be afraid to stretch yourself. Intentional living will require you to make changes but you can adapt. Write down your goals and regularly review them. 

And finally, make up your mind to live intentionally! Ignore advertisements and messages put out by the media (as much as you can) and tell yourself that their messages are calculated to profit them, not you. You are pretty enough, smart enough, and good enough. You have self-control. You can do anything! 

I can tell you from personal experience that living intentionally will give you more self-confidence. It will make you happy. It will put things into perspective. It will make your dreams come true. It will change your life. 

Choose to live intentionally and on purpose. You owe it to your future self.


No comments:

Post a Comment